libplasma2: split anything

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 27 12:02:31 CEST 2011

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 19:25:08 Marco Martin wrote:
> now, when we do loadApplet it would be loaded this new thing, and the trick
> unfortunately is just moved on how to selectively create a qml object tree
> (and eventually load a c++ plugin on a Plasmoid* subclass) OR load instead
> the old plugin of Applet* implementation

when the plugin is loaded, the reulsting object should be a subclass of the
new Applet, which would be either a QML item or a QGraphicsItem.

for a QGraphicsView based shell, it shouldn't really care, as i understand it.
both can be popped onto the scene.

for a QML-only shell, it will just need to discard any QGraphicsItem entries.
it can also filter on the X-Plasma-API entry.

i suppose the Big Question then becomes: will we support QML applets written
in C++ (which then export their QML root time via some API)? if so then we'll
probably end up needing to add X-Plasma-API= entries to even the C++ widgets
that are implemented in QML, and a special api name for it, e.g.
C++Declarative that Applet can treat as "regular C++". then the C++ QML Applet
subclass would need a virtual method by which to return the root item, which
seems a bit messy. thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se