libplasma2: split anything

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 19:25:08 CEST 2011

On Sunday 26 June 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, June 25, 2011 15:55:53 Marco Martin wrote:
> > on a fully optimized/stripped library, the size of libplasma proper, goes
> > from 2.9 MB to 1.1 !!
>
> impressive..
>
> > and most important we need some replacement for corona applet containment
> > for the new library, ideally based only on qobject, but retrocompatible
> > uhm... somehow
>
> yes, this will be a bit of a trick, but i have some ideas for Corona and am
> 99% sure i know how i want to do Containment already. Applet may be the
> trickiest one, though. not sure .. we'll see.

i (at least for applet) i tought about:
the new real Applet (or Plasmoid, or whatever we will end up calling the
class) is a QObject, with an api not too unlike the current one but will end
up haiving just an handful of properties, i think.

a QObject *mainItem property, for qgv would be exactly an Applet * as is now,
for the scene graph one it would be the qml root object.

now, when we do loadApplet it would be loaded this new thing, and the trick
unfortunately is just moved on how to selectively create a qml object tree
(and eventually load a c++ plugin on a Plasmoid* subclass) OR load instead the
old plugin of Applet* implementation

Cheers,
Marco Martin