[KDE Usability] Re: Display Management Design

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:03:53 UTC 2011

2011/7/27 Lukas <1lukas1 at gmail.com>:
>> > I'd suggest using Google Draw or similar online tool for
>> > creating/polishing
>> > mockups. At least google has anonymous users support, so no sign'ups are
>> > required.
>>
>> Uh, that sounds kinda esoteric to me :/ do you mind doing an example? I
>> will
>> attach at the wiki the Pencil Evolus files (they're svg I think).
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A7bdmsLBE_oeRZPHxZNMBVAxMQZCkQIclWOrd2mRLGs/edit?hl=en_US
>
> Done. Just try to play around with it, if you what.  Quick version with
> activities integration :)
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

I've made some changes (all are easy to delete if you don't like
them), and have some suggestions for more substantial changes:

Changes so far:

1. I got rid of the numbers entirely and replaced them with a
three-state button.  The button by default is set to "enabled" (green
check).  It has to other modes, "disabled" (red X), and "primary"
(gold star).  I have a few ideas about how to change this:
  A. Single click: enabled->disabled->primary->enabled or
enabled->primary->disabled->enabled
  A. Single click: enabled->disabled->enabled->primary->enabled
  B. Single click: enabled<-> disabled
      Double click: enabled<->primary

2. I put a line at what corresponds to the physical bottom of the
screen, so it is easy to tell how the screen is rotated.

3. A triangle to pull up a menu of advanced settings, including DPI,
color profiles, custom resolution, and other such tasks.  Each will
pull up a small window to let you set that aspect.

4. I put the resolution inside each screen.

5. I changed the "Settings" button in the mini display to "Advanced".

Suggested changes:

1. Get rid of the bottom area entirely.  Users can use the
drag-and-drop interface to customize everything.  For the activity,
use a drop-down list at the top right, next to the name.  Use "None"
as the default.  There can be a graphical preview of the activities in
the list, such as with the existing drop-down list of wallpapers in
some interfaces, or just use the activity icon.  "Create new" should
also be on list.  It should be labelled "Automatically switch to
activity:", or something similar.  Below I would have a check box:
"Switch to this layout when this activity is selected".

2. I think the small interface should show the previews in the list,
rather than the icons.  Have the icons in one corner of each preview,
or better yet get rid of the icons and just use the previews.  The
previews should automatically resize for the detected display's EDID
information.

3. I would get rid of the "Meta-info section".  All necessary
information should be displayed in the screen box, graphically when
possible.

4. There should be arrows or triangles or something in the lower
corners to tell people they can resize there, and a curved arrow just
inside or outside the upper-left corner so people know they can rotate
there.

-Todd