Battery plasmoid auto hide

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 12:28:40 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:51:58 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> At Platform 11 I pointed to sebas that he battery plasmoid was hidden al
> the  time, I interpreted that as a bug since it was a change in behavior.
>
> At the time sebas was doubtful about wether keep the change or not, I
> asked  again today and he asked me to send this email, so here I'm :p
>
> As you may imagine, I don't like this behavior and the reason is because I
> use  the plasmoid to suspend my laptop, so having to do an extra click to
> do it is kinda pita for me.
>
> Sebas pointed in irc that he is using "close lid" to suspend his laptop,
> that  will work but as many others kde-workspace users when my laptop is
> connected to the power it won't suspend (I use it with the lid closed a
> lot of times when watching videos or when listening to music).
>
> so, what do you think? should we keep this behavior in 4.7.1?

My two cents are: I didn't like this behaviour in the beginning, but am used
to it now, and it doesn't bother me. I am not sure if it's a "ah, if the
battery isn't there, it's full, so fine" that I've learnt, or if I really find
it intuitive. Less noise in the panel is definitely a bonus though.

I agree that it sucks a bit for those that are used to using the suspend
button regularly, or for setting the brightness, though I don't run much into
it myself. Also, it's questionable wether the suspend/hibernate buttons have
any business in that UI, but I think many people are used to it being there.

When the popup is open, the state should probably change to active, so its in
the panel, and moves out afain after popup is closed. That's a relatively
simple fix though.
--
sebas