Focus stealing prevention and SNI conflicts

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jul 23 07:16:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,

there is one thing about SNI which really annoys me.
How to reproduce the issue:
1. Have Amarok as a SNI in systray
2. Right-click the SNI and select Quit
3. Wonder why nothing happened and Amarok icon is still there
4. Notice that a window popped up but focus stealing prevention kicked in and did neither raise
the window nor focus it.

The problem seems to be for all windows opened from a right-clicked menu and I think this is
really bad on the user-experience.

What can we do about it?
I assume that the context menu actions trigger an action in the client and when the client opens
the window it does not get the focus as Plasma has the focus and the focus stealing prevention
kicks in.

I think the problem would go away if all windows opened from a SNI context menu are transient
to Plasma. So how do we either
a) communicate to the applications that they should set the Plasma's WID as its parent or
b) let Plasma open the windows through the SNI API?

Or is there any other way how we can tackle this issue?

Cheers
Martin