How to stop edge of Plasma::Dialog to Change

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 16:28:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2011 18:04:19 Weng Xuetian wrote:
>> Hi Plasma world,
>> Plasma dialog will be extend to the edge of panel or screen, this is a
>> good feature for popup window. But not suitable for my case. Is there
>> any way to stop this?
>
> no.
>
> if you are wondering why, the reason is simple: consistency and API
> simplicity.
>
> every time we give developers the ability to choose such behaviour, the
> decison made will be a poor decision for a significant % of the cases and the
> user suffers with a less consistent experience. which usually results in us
> getting bug reports ;)
>
>> Currently I need a window themed by plasma and keep it on the top of
>> screen, Plasma::Dialog seems to be suitable with some window attribute
>> set, in spite of the edge changing, because this window will move and
>> resize frequently. Or should I use some other class?
>
> may i ask why the screen-edge hugging is a bad thing for your use case? or,
> one step back from that, what is your exact use case?

Thank you very much for your reply! As I mention in the mail before,
I'm trying to rewrite kimpanel with QML and DataEngine, the dataengine
part progress is well, but I have some problem in implement the UI.

I need a window to be always on the top to display the preedit and
candidate string, and this window will follow the cursor position, and
it should fit the content size within it. So it would resize and move
quite frequently after user input and focus change. AFAIK, the Plasma
Dialog edge hugging doesn't react immediately after the window move, I
don't want the preedit window to flicker.

So the only way is to implement with a simple qt window and paint it
with Plasma Svg?