[RFC] Making Compositing a hard build dependency for KWin

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jul 18 21:36:54 CEST 2011

Hi all,

KWin currently has the following optional build dependencies which I would like to turn into hard
build dependencies:
* OpenGL or OpenGL ES
* XComposite
* XDamage
* XRender
* XFixes

I consider KWin as a Compositor and Window Manager, so I think it is at the time to require KWin
to be built as a compositor. Of course this would not change the runtime behavior.

In the past we have broken building without OpenGL in almost each cycle (mostly detected by
some strange useflags in Gentoo ;-). Which just illustrates that we don't notice when it does not
compile and if it is noticed after the release that there is nobody testing the build without the
dependency.

Making these dependencies hard dependencies would allow us to significantly clean up the
CMakeLists and lots of ifdefs in the effects and compositor.

I am not aware of any XServer not supporting the named extensions. To be sure I will also post
this mail to the packagers mailinglist if nobody contradicts me here on KWin and Plasma till let's
say end of this week.

Opinions?

Cheers
Martin