making a data engine for nepomuk(?)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:27:12 CEST 2011

On Friday 08 July 2011, swair shah wrote:
> hi ml,
>
> I'm working on a project in nepomuk (something called project integrator).
> I wanted to make a plasmoid for that. I know that it can be done using
> either c++ or python. Now I know that there is a gsoc project where most
> of the c++ plasmoids are being ported to QML.

what exactly should that dataengine with nepomuk? (odds are it already exists
or a good basis for it anyways)

> First I wanted to ask why is it that c++ plasmoids are getting ported to
> QML, will plasma only support QML plasmoids in the future or something?

for the ui it's very likely.
could still be possible having parts in c++ tough

> Secondly, I wanted to ask, what is the right method to make a plasmoid?
> Should i make a data engine first and then use it to make a plasmoid (also
> it would be great if someone a bit familiar with nepomuk  AND plasma could
> just give me a brief intro to what a data engine related to nepomuk should
> be like). AFAIK there isn't any data engine using which one could make

yes, you should do the dataengine first and have most f the logic there.as i
said that's very likely it exists, as the "metadata" dataengine in plasma
active. it visualizes the results of a query, and since the data is always
extracted with a query...

> nepomuk application. So If i were to start building one, people willing to
> make nepomuk related plasmoids will benefit in future.
>
> Coming back to QML, if all c++ plasmoids are eventually going to get ported
> to QML, I should create the plasmoid in QML. What are your inputs?

yes, you should do it in qml

--
Marco Martin