making a data engine for nepomuk(?)

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 06:21:40 CEST 2011

> First I wanted to ask why is it that c++ plasmoids are getting ported to
> QML, will plasma only support QML plasmoids in the future or something?

Not really, it's just the recommended way of doing so. In general it
eases maintainability, access for designers, and makes it easier to
craft a UI with animations and such. With C++ it is ... not too
trivial. Plus it means it'd run on scenegraph/libplasma2(?)

> Should i make a data engine first and then use it to make a plasmoid (also

Yes. Best to start gathering the data first, then you can visualize it
in the applet. There may be some back and forth of course, as you
discover what data your applet might need, and how best to lay it
out...

> Coming back to QML, if all c++ plasmoids are eventually going to get ported
> to QML,

>I should create the plasmoid in QML. What are your inputs?

Yes. (for the aforementioned reasons).

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)