the next step on the desktop

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Mon Jan 31 17:31:31 CET 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 17:08:59 todd rme wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Martin Gräßlin
>
> <kde at martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
> > ----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----

> >> will talk to mgrslin this afternoon but somthing like a optimal size
> >> buton   instead of max... if you clik it again it goes max.... now the
> >> apps would need   to provide info to kwin about it... this comes in line
> >> with the other crazy   ideas we benn cooking. worth trying IMO
> >
> > at UDS I talked with some desktop experience devs about that. What we
> > came up with is abusing the (unused) maximum size hint and making the
> > maximize button tri-state. First click optimized, second click
> > maximized, third click back to normal. As Ubuntu is also interested
> > there's the chance of getting some kind of standard (but honestly I
> > doubt that gnome would be collaborative in any way if it involves both
> > kde and canonical).
> >
> > From kwin point of view the most difficult part is to get it into the
> > decoration API without breaking BC. Though there are some things which
> > might need a break anyway.
> >
> > From application point of view the most difficult part is changing all
> > apps. We can do that for our apps, but what about firefox and co?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
>
> Would there be any way to detect whether this is supported by an
> application and, if not, just operate in the old mode?
yes, of course no problem. Though I don't think having different semantics on
the same button is a good idea.

> Also, are these hints something that should go in the formal spec, in
> order to encourage apps like firefox to support it?  Or would this
> come after it has been in use for a while to show it work?
See my comment on standardization. Lately I get more and more the feeling that
the NETWM standardization body is dead and that there is no chance to
standardize anything. The only two window managers still interested in
standardization are Compiz and KWin, so all we can do is getting a de-facto
standard.

Martin