roadmap of the chime feature in the analog clock

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 15:51:53 CET 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2011 05:48:01 sunny sharma wrote:
> > First of all i apologize for being silent so long since I was stucked
> > with no internet connection availability and also my lappy crashed.
> >
> > Here is the synopsis which i would work on regarding the chime feature of
> > the analog clock.
> >
> > 1. I talked to notmart yesterday and came to a conclusion that the chime
> > feature would be added as a tab in the GENERAL page of the analog clock
> > general settings.
> >
> > 2. It may contain chime in bold letters and will contain 2 tabs one for
> > the user to select the time interval for the clock to chime. 3.
> > Secondly, it would contain another tab which would allow the user to
> > select the music of their own choice.
> >
> > Please have a look at these points and provide me with a feedback.
>
> That's really a lot of UI for a such a fringe feature. I'm not sure we want
> to overload the user with configuration options for that, to be honest.
>
> For the digital clock, I'd find it too much definitely. For the analog one,
> not being the default, it might be acceptable. (Not my call to make
> though.)

I'm with sebas here.
settings for this feature should be as little and unobtrusive as possible.
As i said to you on IRC, tabs are strongly discouraged in general for
configuration ui (and i don't want to see them in plasmoids config ui for sure
since we kinda managed to keep them reasonably simple so far)
i see the config for this going in general as well, with just a spinbox like
speak time.

Since having both speak time -and- chime enabled at the same time does not
make sense, it could even be collapsed in a single section
"Audio feedback"
combobox[none,speak,chime] spinbox
with the combo has chime value a file selector icon can appear, (but staying
cmpletely hidden otherwise)

Here we go, configuration for the two important parameter of this feature
without increasing the number of widget usually seen ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin