dah-dah-da-daaaaah! synchrotron!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 5 23:33:03 CET 2011

On Wednesday, January 5, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> if it ends up to be pulled from all KDE users, couldn't it become a bit of
> a burden for KDE servers?

yes. on the other hand servers are pretty powerful these days and this service
is rediculously lighweight.

limiting pulls for updates to either on-demand or weekly (with a randomly
chosen day and time on each system) should be doable, i'd think. esp if we
extended synchrotron a bit to accept a set of items to request update status
for, which would make it a single roundtrip and hit to the database.

> > i'd like to make this easy for DataEngine and Plasmoid developers to take
> > advantage of, preferably by putting such logic right into DataEngine and
> > Applet itself. it would be nice to see the logic for this in libattica so
> > that it can be shared by all kinds of application (imagine starting
> > Palapeli and having a dozen or two puzzles available, new ones appearing
> > all the time, via synchrotron in the start up listing!).
>
> it makes sense: with attica seems quite easy to do anyways, from a quck
> source read AtticaProvider from knewstuffs3 has functions to do that (that
> atm is just used to display the update button)

yes, much of it is already there. i would like to avoid having to hit the
server once for every item, though. batching up update checks would be
awesome. this is not what OCS was designed for, though; OCS is pretty much
opendesktop.org's-webapi-beomes-a-spec from what i can tell, and so things
like efficient mass update checks never came into play.

> i don't think atticaprovider is exported, but is easy to do and the needed
> stuff could be pushed down.

agreed.. probably something we should discuss with the attica team.

> >  in the immediate future, while we work on these kinds of improvements,
> >  we
> >
> > can use the normal GHNS dialogs from knewstuff3 to test things out.
> >
> > (on a side note / as a bit of useless trivia: synchrotron came out of
> > design work i did over the holidays for plasma classroom :)
>
> tell us moar :D

not yet :P

all i'll say for now is that synchrotron was page 1 in the (paper) notebook
and now it is "done"; plasma classroom thoughts took up the next few pages. i
need to revisit them now and figure how to tackle these things and how to make
sense out of what i wrote down christmas :)

humru othro a kohnu se