dah-dah-da-daaaaah! synchrotron!

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:11:18 CET 2011

On Wednesday 05 January 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi..
>
> the subject line of this email should be sung to the tune of your favourite
> superhero t.v. show, such as Italian Spiderman.
>
> on boxing day (which is what the Brits and Canuckistanis call the day after
> Christmas) i sent an email to this list with the subject GHNS feeds for
> plasmoid addons.

awesomio

> if you missed my blog entry on it, i have it working as of yesterday:
>
> 	http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/01/fire-up-synchrotron.html
>
> i've put in a request to the sysadmin team to move the git repo somewhere
> more appropriate, but for now the repositories are here:
>
> 	http://gitweb.kde.org/scratch/aseigo/synchrotron.git
> 	http://gitweb.kde.org/scratch/aseigo/synchrotron-sources.git
>
> the second repo is where we will put the content. Artur: you could add the
> share backends there right away if you'd like, in fact :)
>
> where to host it is something that will come next, and i'll also be working
> that through with KDE sys admin.

if it ends up to be pulled from all KDE users, couldn't it become a bit of a
burden for KDE servers?

> in the meantime, code review, patches, improvements, feedback, etc. for the
> code and/or usage of the -sources repository is very, very welcome.
>
> it also opens up some new avenues of development for us, namely:
>
> * how to automatically check for addons from synchrotron on first-run
> * how to check for updates so we can offer an auto-update service
>
> i'd like to make this easy for DataEngine and Plasmoid developers to take
> advantage of, preferably by putting such logic right into DataEngine and
> Applet itself. it would be nice to see the logic for this in libattica so
> that it can be shared by all kinds of application (imagine starting
> Palapeli and having a dozen or two puzzles available, new ones appearing
> all the time, via synchrotron in the start up listing!).

it makes sense: with attica seems quite easy to do anyways, from a quck source
read AtticaProvider from knewstuffs3 has functions to do that (that atm is
just used to display the update button)
i don't think atticaprovider is exported, but is easy to do and the needed
stuff could be pushed down.

>  in the immediate future, while we work on these kinds of improvements, we
> can use the normal GHNS dialogs from knewstuff3 to test things out.
>
> (on a side note / as a bit of useless trivia: synchrotron came out of
> design work i did over the holidays for plasma classroom :)

tell us moar :D

Cheers,
Marco Martin