Plasma desktop init scripting

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:20:27 CET 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011, Chani wrote:
> On January 3, 2011 18:30:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday, January 3, 2011, Jeremiah Summers wrote:
> > >           Thanks, I just realized how unclearly I was thinking. Of
> > >           course
> > >
> > > this is just for plasma so defaults in KDE apps they may need to be
> > > set, can't be set. However is there a way to call kwriteconfig in the
> > > javascript and write to configs on startup?
> >
> > there isn't currently, no. do you have specific use cases, or just a
> > general need/hope?
> >
> > (creating API to allow reading/writing arbitrary config files would not
> > be hard; but use cases help determine if an addition is worth doing.)
>
> hypothertical use case: an activity template wants to set something special
> in some app.
> I'm having second thoughts about whether plasma-desktop is the appropriate
> place to do that from. haven't thought it through in detail. just food for
> thought.
yes, could be a valid one.
in ideal pink ponies world, would be the application itself that does that (or
the application supporting init scripting by itself ) but this is so not
realistinc that yeah, the activity template modifying soething in the
application config could be an idea.

a not exactly wanted counter effect it could have i think is this influencing
the behaviour of said application in all activities, especially if the app
doesn't support them natively

Cheers,
Marco Martin