The future of virtual desktops

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Fri Feb 25 13:26:01 CET 2011

On Friday 25 February 2011 12:28:51 Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> You would like my solution to this problem....... I call its space :)
> the desktp is a view on a linear expanding space (it just expandes side
> ways)... that revolves into itself, (you can make the space grow or shrink
> ). and you can scrool the space in your desktop view.... This is not much
> difrent from the desktop we have now, just that you can stop a view in
> betwin virtual desktops.
If I understand it right, this is exactly what I proposed, just with the
difference that it's like a rounded strap, so there's no end.

> Ortogonal to this space you would have activities that are simple
> colections of spaces, in an activity everything can be diferent. just like
> in our cuurrent activities.... wen you browse them you woud see stacks of
> spaces piled one ot top of the other....
What do you mean with "stacks of spaces piled one ot top of the other"?

> Problems.... aparently the way virtual desktops are build do not alow this
> to be real, secondly I would have to make realy huge wallpaper that would
> be continous strips. Third, a realy elegant presentation of this concep
> needs a opengl canvas.
I wouldn't let the wallpaper turn at all, but just windows and (maybe) plasma-
widgets.

> But this would solve the problem as it realy makes activities and desktops
> ortogonal visualy speaking. plus it woul be somthing that relates much more
> to real life space tends to be circular around us...we can put documents
> out of our view but easy to reach it by simply movig our view to it...
>
> cheers

cheers, Anton