[GSOC] Home automation

Marsollier Robin robin.marsollier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Mon Feb 21 12:49:03 CET 2011

Le samedi 19 février 2011 19:51:06, Marco Martin a écrit :
> ok, so all the actual backend stuff is almost there from what i gather?
> what you would do is basically a set of ui bits that display
> informations/control devices exposed by such server.

Yes, exactly, a set of plasmoid to supervision and control tools for home,
with notification if needed, a way to ajust advanced parameters (a window with
plasma kpart for more flexibility?), perhaps with an abstraction layer for
help future implementation of other automation server.
I had not thought about it but integration with PMC will be necessary, I don't
know how because there are some point to consider (more than you all have
exposed in the little debate about it ;) ) and I think I don't have sufficient
knowledge for the moment to even know all points. This will need some discuss.

> I think Plasa would be quite perfect for an user interface of such a
> project (just quickly thinking about it, dataengines, remote widgets, qml
> plasmoids seem exactly the perfect match)

I think so, I only have a users point of view for the moment, but plasma seems
so perfect and flexible to do it :)

> looking forward to it :)

I'll join you tomorrow afternoon or evening.

> on the parts that are most in the backend stuff, and for testing with
> actual hardware i fear you would be a bit on your own (but you seem to be
> already expert of it ;)) for all the ui work, how to do a plasma shell
> around it, we will be very happy to help

Yes, I am aware about it, in my original idea, I wanted to work on domogik but
because I can't test anything in real condition with hardware, I could only
work on the web interface (which is very advanced actually).
So I decided to attempt to work on another point that I consider as a lack
currently, integration in desktop.
So I hope Domogik can be hack to trigger some event and other stuff, but I
think so.

I'm happy that my idea have been welcomed. I'll add it quickly on the page of
ideas for GSOC.
--
Cordialement

Robin Marsollier
M1 Électronique et Télécommunication - Université de Rennes 1