another interesting bug.. this time performance related

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 20:24:29 CET 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, February 19, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> > crazy idea: what about qml-ifing the taskbar right now?
>
> that's an excellent crazy idea. let's do it.

oh, yeah baby, let's dance ;)

> all settings and handling would be applied to the GroupManager and the
> Model would reflect those changes. this is already what the tasks widget
> does, only without a model, so it should be quite doable.

yup, basically just the data() function returning the proper data from grouper
given a "row number"

> another difficult part might be the user interaction for manual sorting and
> grouping. we need to be able to let the user start a QDrag for manual

yep, writing bindings for drag and drop is on my todo list (iirc there could
even be some properly licensed code out there, i have to check)

another thing that could be tricky is the tasks popups (basically means un-
parenting some components from the root component, from some experiments i did
with extenders, it *seems* to work, still have to see eventual countereffects,
since really bad things could happen inside the declarative engine ;)

> grouping. sorting can be done all within the QML widget, so that shouldn't
> be too hard? only trick is that it will need to let the Applet know so it
> can let the GroupManager know ...

yes, for sorting we can even just move the task widget, and maybe initiating
the drag only when the cursor goes out of the taskbar...

> this is probably beyond my QML skills as i still haven't found the time to
> properly throw myself into QML yet. but i'm happy to write the model and
> retro-fit the tasks widget for a QML widget.

well, my qml skills are still basically figuring out everything that is not
possible, and each weakness discovered, shouting doh! :p

so i still can't assure you it will be possible to have a 100% feature parity
(consider that when deciding about writing the model or not :p), to me, it
looks like very near tough, and worth trying (we want scenegraph right? just
look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfh7WGNk4KU how it's insanely freaking
fast).

Cheers,
Marco Martin