Featurlets for 4.7

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 15 18:59:54 CET 2011

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011, John Layt wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 21:58:29 Marco Martin wrote:
> > Let ideas begin :)
>
> I've added a few for calendar / clock widget improvements, some my ideas,
> some from bug reports, feel free to critique:
>
> Calendar / Clock
> * Improve appearance of pop-ups by arranging timezone / holiday / event
> data using HTML tables

the timezone tooltip already does use a table to align content. as for the
calendar popups: don't bother. i've started a branch in kde-workspace called
plasmaclock/eventsinline where i plan to gratuitously steal some design ideas
from gnome-shell's calendar popup: calendar on the left, events on the right.

> * KAlarm integration: RMB menu to have "New Alarm" sub-menu, pop-ups to
> show KAlarms currently set

KAlarm is in kdepim and is an application; not sure it makes sense to
integrate with KAlarm itself. if the data is kept in akonadi, then it could be
put there? my concern, however, would be that if there is no GUI provided for
the alarms (e.g. due to not having kdepim installed), then we end up with a
feature that is useless. some thought should be put into making alarm
notifications a desktop service perhaps that we can rely on being there.

> * Keyboard navigation

+1

> * In config choose time format via combo for System / 12 hour / 24 hour
> (like date format now is)

-1; what is the use case for this? unlike with the date, where it is a matter
of how much information is shown versus how much space it takes up, there is
no such issue with the time. all this would mean is bloating the config UI,
add more (if trivial in this case) code paths and provide one more place that
the user needs to go fiddle with things. please, no.

> * In config make setting clock font optional, default to system font

+1

> * Apply font to date & timezone text as well?

if it isn't, it should be.

> * Improve text auto-layout code, there's many bugs reported.

listing BR#s on the page would nice ..

humru othro a kohnu se