Featurlets for 4.7

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:06:57 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2011 22:55:12 todd rme wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > As i can see the fixing of apply buttons is proceeding very, very well,
>> > that's awesome.
>> > props to everyone involved :)
>> >
>> > another idea aamong those lines, could be, think about a little feature
>> > you would see in 4.7
>> > could be a new option, could be a very simple plamoid, a service or two
>> > in the paste widget, a new feature or two that are missing in the
>> > microblog plasmoid in its protocol handling (hint, i would really love
>> > to see that)
>> >
>> > in this thread talk about ideas, anything comes to your mind will do,
>> > there is already a wiki page for it
>> > http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Tasks
>> >
>> > with a table in the end to say who is doing what, to better help
>> > coordinate efforts
>> >
>> > Let ideas begin :)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Marco Martin
>>
>> Who actually makes the decision about what features would be good or
>> not?  I know of a lot of features that could potentially go on the
>> list, but I don't know whether they would be accepted if implemented.
> The best thing is to list them here :-)
>
> Anne-Marie

Okay, I will do so.  Not all of these ideas are mine, I am just
passing along the ones I think are worthwhile:

Image Wallpaper:
1. When you hover over a wallpaper in the list for a certain amount of
time, show that wallpaper on the desktop.  This lets you get a
full-size preview of the wallpaper and lets you see how it works with
your current theme.

2. Have a "custom" wallpaper position option.  This would let you set
the position and scaling in both horizontal and vertical dimensions,
either to presets like align top or bottom, or to custom values in
pixels.  This is useful for people who want to have one wallpaper span
multiple desktops, they can set the same image but show different
parts of that image.

Slideshow wallpaper:
1. Link slideshows.  All the slideshow wallpapers that have this
option enabled would use the same timing and random number generator,
so they would all show the same wallpaper at the same time.  Useful
for multi-monitor setups

Character Map:
1. Lets uses set characters that they use often.  On the desktop,
these would probably appear as a list at the top or bottom of the
plasmoid.  In the panel, they would appear as a list next to the icon.

Device Notifier:
1. Double click on a device to open it in the default application.
Alternatively, have an icon on the right with the default application
and click on that.

Lock/Logout:
1. Add more options: Screen saver, shut down, reboot, turn off screen.

2. Put icons of the options next to the options on the config dialog.

Pager:
1. Show a thumbnail of the desktop on hover

Task Manager:
1. Drag tasks to desktop to move them to current virtual desktop/activity

2. Drag tasks to activity manager or activity bar to add them to that activity.

Search & Launch Containment:
1. Add breadcrumbs next to the "back" button.

Kalgebra and Qalculate widgets:
1. Merge the widgets, user can set the back-end.

2. History button that shows the last 10 or so calculations and results.

Calculator:
1. Scientific mode

2. History button that shows the last 10 or so calculations and results.

Quicklaunch:
1. The popup button should scale with widget size and position itself
properly with widget layout when on the desktop

2. Enable and disable labels independently for the main portion and
the popup.  Currently the popup always has labels.

Folder view:
1. On hover on the title, show a "refresh" button.

Kate sessions:
1. Right-clicking on a session should give you options to remove or
hide that session

Konqueror profiles:
1. Right-clicking on a profile should give you options to remove or
hide that session

Preview:
1. Integrate the "preview" widget with the dolphin part, so when
clicking the "preview" action in dolphin it popups up the preview
widget above dolphin with a preview of that file

World clock
1. Let the user temporarily set a custom time for the local time zone,
and the use the mouse to check what that time is in other time zones.

Panel:
1. In autohide mode, the panel has a nice animation when the panel is
shown.  In "windows can cover" mode, putting your cursor at the screen
edge also shows the panel, but there is no animation.  Probably the
"fade" effect would be best.

2. Not everyone like showing the panel at the screen edge in "windows
can cover" mode.  Make a "windows always cover" mode that doesn't do
this.

3. The panel should unhide when you drag a widget to it.

Widget Explorer:
1. The search field on the widget explorer should have focus when you open it.

Cashew:
1. Mouse actions for the cashew.  Currently we have mouse actions for
doing mouse events on the desktop.  We should have the same thing for
the cashew (except for left mouse click, of course).  For instance a
user could have scroll wheel on the desktop to change virtual
desktops, and scroll wheel on the cashew to change activities.

Activites:
1. Remember your current virtual desktop on a per-activity basis

All widgets:
1. Fix scroll bar middle click.  In KDE, middle clicking on a scroll
bar jumps to that location.  However, this does not work consistently
with plasma widgets.