New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Accessible Label (1/3)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 15:12:07 CET 2011

On Monday 07 February 2011, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 3, 2011, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > > There are ways to strongly suggest application developers to define
> > > such strings: for example outputing warnings on stderr when a KSNI
> > > goes live without having proper a11y properties set.
> >
> > catching and punishing sins (though a warning is hardly a punishment
> > unless
>
> we
>
> > email the devs every time it happens .. yes, i'm joking ;) is not a good
> > approach compared to being able to prevent the sins in the first place.
> >
> > developers have every motivation to add tooltips and they usually do.
> > it's also easily tested by them: hover the entry with their mouse. if we
> > use that same data for a11y, we prevent the sins.
>
> Using the tooltip is a handy fallback, but it will most likely be less
> adapted to a blind reader, especially since it may contain complex HTML
> content (reminds me of another discussion...), making it much more work to
> read for a blind user than a simple, text-only, label.
>
> I suggest we add the property Ted is proposing and specify that tooltips
> will be used as a fallback, but strongly recommends devs to set

not the title, the tooltip title never has html.

i can see at limit another property that is used as fallback, instead of the
tooltip title if is not possible for some reason  to encode the proper
informtion in the title (thing that i higly doubt by the way) rather than
having the tooltip as fallback of another property

Cheers,
Marco Martin