New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Accessible Label (1/3)

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Mon Feb 7 11:19:55 CET 2011

> On Thursday, February 3, 2011, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > There are ways to strongly suggest application developers to define such
> > strings: for example outputing warnings on stderr when a KSNI goes live
> > without having proper a11y properties set.
>
> catching and punishing sins (though a warning is hardly a punishment unless
we
> email the devs every time it happens .. yes, i'm joking ;) is not a good
> approach compared to being able to prevent the sins in the first place.
>
> developers have every motivation to add tooltips and they usually do. it's
> also easily tested by them: hover the entry with their mouse. if we use that
> same data for a11y, we prevent the sins.

Using the tooltip is a handy fallback, but it will most likely be less adapted
to a blind reader, especially since it may contain complex HTML content
(reminds me of another discussion...), making it much more work to read for a
blind user than a simple, text-only, label.

I suggest we add the property Ted is proposing and specify that tooltips will
be used as a fallback, but strongly recommends devs to set appropriate a11y
labels (and output warnings in KDE implementation when they are not set).

Aurélien