Dataengine for browser bookmarks

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:47:52 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Jan Gerrit Marker
<jangmarker at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>> Is this a possible use for Synchrotron?  Web browsers don't adhere to
>> the KDE release schedule, there could easily be changes to the
>> bookmarks format between KDE releases.
> The Konqueror related code can stay in the engine's code as Konqueror changes
> its API only with KDE releases.
> For the other browsers you're right, but it needs moving the code into
> separate classes and libraries if I understood the concept of Synchrotron
> correctly. I don't know how to do this.
>
> Best regards,
> Jan Marker

Well, the question is whether you have a separate class for each
browser, or a generic plugin-handling class that uses whatever
plug-ins the user has installed via Synchrotron.  You could probably
ship, at the minimum, rekonq and firefox plug-ins (konqueror would
probably be built-in as you said). and people could install others if
they desire.  So the bookmarks manager wouldn't know up-front what
plug-ins it has available.  It might even be possible to install
third-party plug-ins for less-used browsers or older versions of
browsers (does Synchrotron also allow installing third-party plugins
from opendesktop.org sites?).

-Todd