Mouse Buttons- should KDE provide a GUI to "fix" faulty button numbers?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Feb 5 03:20:01 CET 2011

On Friday, February 4, 2011, todd rme wrote:
> I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but this is exactly
> the sort of problem that being able to use mouse buttons in keyboard
> shortcuts would solve.  Why create an entirely new GUI for this when
> we already have a GUI that can do this, and far more, and that users
> are already familiar with?

is that a different problem?

Rick wants to solve the "which button maps to what", so that when you swap
mice the semantics of each button remain "correct"

having mouse actions in keyboard shotcuts (as we do in, e.g.,  the activities
control panel) allows you to assign those buttons to actions.

if i understand correctly, the problem Rick is attempting to solve is this:

* i plug in fancy mouse a (FM(a)) and use button N to trigger an action
* i unplug FM(a) and plug in FM(b), which unfortunately maps the same buttons
(to the user) to different codes (to the computer)

with Rick's proposed solution, the user wouldn't notice a difference between
the two mice ... as expected.

Rick: am i understanding you correctly here?

humru othro a kohnu se