Mouse Buttons- should KDE provide a GUI to "fix" faulty button numbers?

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 02:54:08 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday, February 4, 2011, Rick Stockton wrote:
>> Background for my question:
>>
>> Different mice, even different mice from the SAME manufacturer,
>> sometimes emit different X11 Button numbers for the same button. For
>> example, the tilt wheel on Logitech's V220 emits Button6 for "Scroll
>> Left" and Button7 for "Scroll Right" -- while Logitech's LX6 emits
>> Button11 for "Left" and Button12 for "Right".
>
> is it possible to identify these mice (or at least some/most of them) when
> they are plugged in? if so, could we then build a list of "known" mice with
> configurations mapped to them for optimal defaults?
>
>> Should we add an enhanced Button Mapper as part of this project? My vote
>> is YES, because
>
> agreed.
>
>> Question 2: Should we push the user-selected map down to only Qt, or all
>> the way down to X11?
>
> if possible, this would be great imho.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but this is exactly
the sort of problem that being able to use mouse buttons in keyboard
shortcuts would solve.  Why create an entirely new GUI for this when
we already have a GUI that can do this, and far more, and that users
are already familiar with?

-Todd