New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Accessible Label (1/3)

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 4 04:04:17 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 16:24 +0100, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On the other hand, it requires application developers to add another
> string in their code to all UI elements -- something which might be
> easily forgotten by those that don't care a lot about a11y (I fear
> that this applies to a lot of developers). Falling back to the tooltip
> sounds like something sensible for those cases.
>
> In any case, we should clearly document why it makes sense (justifies
> the extra work for developers and translators), so people actually do
> it. Additionally, some guidelines how to make those accessible labels
> useful, i.e. not just repeat the tooltip, but making it convey the
> needed information in a form suitable for screen readers.
>
> The overhead of such a thing is non-trivial, but I can't really judge
> the importance to a11y, so the above are just some thoughts about this
> proposed property.

I agree documenting the purpose and providing ways for developers to
realize when they're not given is key.  I think another thing that is
important is providing a documented path for adding them.  Then someone
who did use the strings could provide patches to projects which provided
inadequate descriptions.

		--Ted