New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Accessible Label (1/3)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 3 18:44:54 CET 2011

On Thursday, February 3, 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On the other hand, it requires application developers to add another string
> in their code to all UI elements -- something which might be easily
> forgotten by those that don't care a lot about a11y (I fear that this
> applies to a lot of developers). Falling back to the tooltip sounds like
> something sensible for those cases.

the tooltip really ought to be the textul representation of the entry in the
first place.

another benefit of re-using the tooltip is that it's easy for any developer
(or user) to test: hover the entry with the mouse. a11y labels are going to be
a lot harder for the average dev to test (well, plasmaengineexplorer makes it
easy enough, but that's still a sort of "backwoods" for most developers)

> In any case, we should clearly document why it makes sense (justifies the
> extra work for developers and translators), so people actually do it.
> Additionally, some guidelines how to make those accessible labels useful,
> i.e. not just repeat the tooltip, but making it convey the needed
> information in a form suitable for screen readers.

+1

humru othro a kohnu se