New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Accessible Label (1/3)

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 3 05:26:00 CET 2011

Hello,

For an intro see the mail with the (0/3) in the subject line.

One of the projects we're doing is to try and make Unity more
accessible.  To that end we'd like to add properties to add accessible
labels for the icons that could be given to screen readers.  We're
planning on issuing warnings if an icon is set without an accessible
label, it would be great if the KDE object could do the same.  Here are
the properties that we're thinking about: IconAccessibleLabel and
AttentionAccessibleLabel.  They should be strings describing the
icons/movies, localized and change with the icon.  An example would be
"Battery 45%".

		--Ted

PS - I don't think that OverlayAccessibleLabel makes sense, but I'd love
to hear people's comments on that.