flowout proposal

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Dec 28 16:14:56 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 28 December 2011 16:54:37 Mark wrote:
> I really like your reply especially since you're commenting about the image
> and everything in it :) Nice feedback although not exactly the thing i
> intended.
> I meant the flowout part, so in that image it's the way the "start menu"
> kinda flows out of the panel itself.
>
> Sadly you didn't run the example since you would have instantly noticed
> it.. thus i mailed the example to you ^_^
thanks for mailing it, so I have seen it now.

Well that is not really trivial. In your QML example the panel, start menu and
desktop background are one window rendered in one context. In reality these
are three windows. Adapting the size is not really a nice thing to do with
X11. Just give it a try with Yakuake. It supports sliding popups (default) and
animation by itself. If the animation is done by itself it is slow, stutters -
espacially on NVIDIA.

Reason for that is that with each changed size a new window pixmap is required
and some drivers are slow with texture from pixmap operations. And the whole
thing has to be perfectly timed. Yakuake resizes it's window in a fixed
interval and KWin would have to repaint in exactly the same interval to get a
fluid animation. I expect things like that to be much better with Wayland.

With the sliding popups effect we go a different way: the window is not
resized but moved by the compositor. Unfortunately there is no feedback to the
window. That is something we will gain with Wayland. There the window will
know when a frame was rendered. Nevertheless it would be possible to pseudo-
sync the rendering if Plasma uses the effect hook to set the animation
duration. The only thing you would not do is the resizing.

So I would say: give it a try. Just use the kickoff-qml branch and apply your
qml magic :-)

> About the firefox or window manager things or even blur. Thanx for that but
> you can ignore the picture other then place where the panel nicely
> integrates in the start menu.
it did not say so :-)

Cheers
Martin