Review Request: Change activity by rolling the mouse wheel over the showActivityManager widget.

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 27 11:43:40 UTC 2011

Hi Simone,

Thanks for your patch to the activity switcher. Making pieces of the UI easier
to use is always welcome. I thought a bit about your patch, though, and I see
two problems with it as it is right now.

On Monday, December 26, 2011 23:45:58 Simone Gaiarin wrote:
> Rolling the mouse wheel over the showActivityManager change the current
> activity. In this way it's not necessary to open the activities menu,
> select the activity and close the menu and the activity change is faster.

I think that this change is problematic from an interaction point of view, it
seems very easy to accidentally trigger, and in that case all windows are
gone, the desktop changes completely, and users who triggered this feature
unaware of it will likely be very confused and think they've just broken their
system. It's also not discoverable, making it hard to find even for those that
would understand it.

Not sure how to address those, maybe you have an idea?

sebas