Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:25:44 UTC 2011

Xavier, while I also want the back button back, it seems to me that you
miss several important points:

As for the notion that most prominent KDE apps don't possess back buttons,
> there are actually quite a few examples, such as Konqueror/Rekonq, the
> "System Settings" application, and Dolphin.

There are very few cases with a back button like the one in Kickoff (I can
only think of QuickAccess). Personally I think it could have a place in
more widgets though.

Dolphin arguably also has redundancy, as it possesses both breadcrumb
> navigation and a back button.

As previously explained, the back button in Dolphin doesn't serve the same
purpose as the breadcrumbs. Redundancy would be to have both the
breadcrumbs and the "Up" button by default, which it doesn't have.

Martin, how can you claim to care about the opinions of KDE's userbase,
> when you refuse to consider the possiblity that many of KDE's users may
> want this feature?

I think you missed the "try to rally" part.

Why would you make it read-only if you care about the community's opinion?

The navigation in Kickoff has received many complaints since it was
introduced. People found it slow to navigate, couldn't see which level they
were at etc. Breadcrumbs solve some of these issues.

In fact, it should be obvious that users care about the back button, given
> that I, a mere user, have spent close to 2 months pursuing this issue, and,
> consequently, have joined this mailing list.  In the past, have you
> encountered such ire?  Such dedication to a single feature?

One example doesn't say very much. I'm sure you can find more than one
dedicated user who wants the classic menu to be the default, but that
doesn't mean that it should be.

In short:
It seems clear that the developers aren't interested in adding the back
button back. Therefore I suggest that we follow their suggestion, i.e.,
someone creating an alternative Kickoff with the back button (having it as
an additional option is just silly in my opinion). If it becomes very
popular, the developers might reconsider. Or not.

I also suggest that someone tries to find the original usability study
performed by openSUSE(?) when creating Kickoff. If I remember correctly the
back button, being on the left edge where it's easy to hit, was one of the
important parts of the application launcher. Maybe we could get an opinion
from one of the usability experts involved with the original concept.

As for me, I personally don't use Kickoff much, so I don't care enough to
spend any significant time on the issue. But as said I would prefer a back
button.

Hans