Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Xavier Sythe me at sythe.me
Wed Dec 21 16:59:49 UTC 2011

Alexey made several valid points.

It's not a question of whether or not to "add" a back button, it's a
question of whether or not to restore it.

If it's a question of redundancy, one might argue that the new breadcrumb
navigation could be removed in favour of the classic back button.

After all, most of the sub-categories are less than one level deep.

As for the notion that most prominent KDE apps don't possess back buttons,
there are actually quite a few examples, such as Konqueror/Rekonq, the
"System Settings" application, and Dolphin.
Dolphin arguably also has redundancy, as it possesses both breadcrumb
navigation and a back button.

If both Aaron and Martin claim to want consistency, why are they going
against the paradigms implemented in Dolphin, namely BOTH the back button
and breadcrumb navigation.

"(Btw. don't even try to
rally now that users post to the bug report. If that is going to happen I
will
make sure that the bug gets made read only)."

Martin, how can you claim to care about the opinions of KDE's userbase,
when you refuse to consider the possiblity that many of KDE's users may
want this feature?

Why would you make it read-only if you care about the community's opinion?

You don't have any statistics invalidating my statements.

Have KDE users requested the removal of the back button?
No.

Have KDE users requested the reinstatement of the back button?
Yes.

Do we care about KDE's users?
Yes.

So, why are we removing a feature?  A feature that few, perhaps none of the
users have complained about.

The fact that any users made the effort to not only register to the issue
tracker, but also find the specific issue and post to it, demonstrates
that, in fact, more users want the back button, than those that would ask
for its removal.

In fact, it should be obvious that users care about the back button, given
that I, a mere user, have spent close to 2 months pursuing this issue, and,
consequently, have joined this mailing list.  In the past, have you
encountered such ire?  Such dedication to a single feature?

Regardless of whether the back button is reinstated, I will support adding
the mouse's back button as a way to go back.  The back button is a staple
of modern UI, featured prominently in all file/web browsers.

Xavier Sythe