Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Xavier Sythe me at sythe.me
Sat Dec 17 00:04:48 UTC 2011

Actually, the breadcrumbs don't really need to be removed.
I merely see the need to reinstate the back button.
"I personally do not see any need for the back button any more."

It's mostly a user experience perspective.

It's a simple fact that it requires less mouse movement, hence, less time,
to click the back button, then it does to move your mouse to the top of the
menu, and use the breadcrumbs.  Why?  Because the back button extends all
the way down the length of the menu.  Instead of having to move your mouse
to the top of the menu, then to the left, you can simply move it to the
left and click the button.

"The
breadcrumbs add high value to Kickoff. It makes navigation in a folder like
structure like the application menu more convenient and much more consistant
with other parts of KDE applications, e.g. Dolphin's..."

Just like in Dolphin, this menu style would feature both breadcrumb
navigation, and a back button.

Would you support removing the back button from Dolphin, in favour of just
breadcrumbs?
I doubt that anyone would support that.

I've chatted briefly with the KDE Usability Team, and they actually seemed
to agree with me.

Well some users might stick to the breadcrumb navigation, the majority of
users from previous versions of KDE are accustomed to the back button, and
appreciate its use, both in Kickoff as well as in Dolphin.  Including both
types of navigation will ensure that nobody complains, and presumably, lead
to a better overall user experience.

Thanks,
Xavier Sythe