Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Dec 16 19:12:13 UTC 2011

On Thursday 08 December 2011 16:01:33 Xavier Sythe wrote:
> Nearly two months ago, I contacted him, and asked him to reverse the
> controversial commit.
> He has yet to reply.
Please understand that not each developer has the time to answer personal
requests. You state yourself that it is controversial. Just imagine each user
disliking the feature sending a mail to Kevin. That just doesn't scale.

Asking to revert the feature is to be honest non-constructive criticism. Like
all other decisions on the default user interface they are done with care. The
breadcrumbs add high value to Kickoff. It makes navigation in a folder like
structure like the application menu more convenient and much more consistant
with other parts of KDE applications, e.g. Dolphin's breadcrumb navigation.

Just because you (and others) dislike the new feature it does not justify to
revert the commit. There are also users liking the feature, so how should we
suit both groups? Now please don't state that we need an option for that. This
is not possible as the code gets too complex and too difficult to maintain.

> When I asked the #KDE IRC channel about this, I was told to contact the
> members of this mailing list, to see if I could get the commit reversed.
Reverting the commit is clearly not an option. But what would you say about
improving the breadcrumbs in Kickoff? Getting them into a state that you want
to use them and not the out-of-place back button?

Have a look at my recent blog post [1] about the work on Kickoff for 4.9. It
is easy to give this version a try, it installs alongside the existing
Kickoff. I personally do not see any need for the back button any more.

Kind Regards
Martin Gräßlin

New Kickoff Maintainer after branch merged into master

[1] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/12/experience-from-porting-
kickoff-to-qml/