RFC: Remove Opacity from Alt+F3 menu

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:48:17 UTC 2011

Am Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:20:08 +0200
schrieb Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:

> Hi all,
>
> just an idea I had today: do we really need the opacity menu in the
> Alt+F3 menu?

I think it's just a leftover from the time when kwin used to control
kcompmgr.

I'd say the entire menu just is a mess.
Most items there are just of use when things went wrong (eg.
google removed the decoration and you want it back - what doesn't work
since kwin currently doesn't trace that motif hint... ;-) and in this
case the "most important" one is hidden behind the generic "Advanced"

Anyway, my proposal would be to
a) Group by category
b) check the environment in aboutToPopup() for the presence of a
decoration.
c) add a title so the user quickly learns how to invoke this if
the mouse is no option. (yes: Q/KMenu title suck - got a better idea
anybody?)
d) review usability: Eg. i actually don't like the close item that, well
"close" to the GWS _action_ - the item above would preferably be a
submenu (so you don't judder and click close instead)
e) rethink some labels

==== Alt+F3 Menu ====
No titlebar [x] // if and only if it's true
---------
Window properties >
Move // if and only if invoked by Alt+F3
Resize // if and only if invoked by Alt+F3
Send on desktop >
Settings >
---------
Close

"Window properties":
Minimize [ ]
Maximize [ ]
-------
Keep Above [ ]
Keep Below [ ]
-------
Fullscreen [ ]
-------
No titlebar [ ]
Only titlebar [ ]

"Settings":
This window shortcut ...
This window settings...
This application window settings...
---------
"General window settings..."

---
Do you know whether any of the usability guys compiles git master and
can try a patch?

Cheers,
Thomas