RFC: Remove Opacity from Alt+F3 menu

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Aug 18 17:20:08 UTC 2011

Hi all,

just an idea I had today: do we really need the opacity menu in the Alt+F3 menu?

Reasons against the menu:
* menu in tasks applet does not provide the opacity (missing consistency)
* Opacity is not really useful as both foreground and background are modified (hard to read)
and no blur behind
* Changing of opacity is still possible through titlebar wheel event or window rules or
translucency effect
* Alt+F3 menu is really cluttered
* There is code to throw away the menu whenever the compositing state changes

Personally I don't see a good reason for having the opacity menu at all and I found it kind of
techy (look what we can do: isn't that awesome? Translucent Windows!). So convince me to
not remove it :-)

Cheers
Martin