SoK idea: Improve krunner result displaying and navigation.

Luiz Romário Santana Rios luizromario at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:15:08 CEST 2011

Currently, when we type something in, krunner displays the results as it
finds it, without giving a feedback of whether it is searching or just
didn't find anything. It also does not separate the results into its
different categories and shows some irrelevant results.

My idea is to give the user a better feedback of what's happening, telling
them that krunner is searching or that it didn't find anything about those
terms. Also, the results will be separated into different categories, say,
programs, files and folders, Nepomuk tags, etc., giving the user the ability
of choosing which one of these categories they want to prefer or defer and
which one of these will contain the default action.

I also intend to make it possible for the user to navigate through the
results using the arrow keys, instead of tabbing, and to show a scrollbar
instead of an arrow when there's a lot of results (or maybe a "More"
button), also shrinking the less relevant results.

Is this a good SoK idea? Is it too little?

I also thought of a simpler K menu that can run runners in its search,
letting you put the results in the favorites just by dragging.

--
Luiz Romário Santana Rios