plasmate:questions about coding

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 13:54:52 CEST 2011

On Thursday, April 21, 2011 13:51:13 Tsiapaliwkas Giorgos wrote:
> hello,
>
> Do u think that the menu "More projects" need some changes?
>
> 1.It is appeared only if there are 5 projects or more.If i have 3 projects
> and i want to delete them how should i do it?
> I think that "more projects" should always be visible.

we could also provide a context menu with "Delete project" in it .. but it's
not a very pretty solution.

really, then, "More projects..." becomes "Manage projects" .. unless there are
more than 5 projects in which case it is "More projects, and manage them"
which is very cumbersome to write.

there could be a "Manage projects..." link in smaller text to the right of
"Continue to work on..."? hmm...

i really would like to keep that first screen's UI clean. is it really
necessary to be able to clear projects if there are only four or less? maybe
not.

interestingly:

* removing a project does not actually delete the folder on disk; it just
removes it from the listing in the window. so there truly is very little to be
earned by this. perhaps add a "Destroy project" type function?

* deleting a project on disk doesn't cause the project list to refresh; it
would probably make sense in StartPage to watch the directories that the
projects are in with a KDirWatch  and refresh the listing when it changes.

> 1b.If "more projects" was always visible should we change its location?

> 2.At plasmate/projectmanager in ProjectManager::confirmDeletion() can u
> explain me what you mean with this TODO?
>
> //TODO: might want to disallow deleting a currently active project, or
> handle it   gracefully somehow.

if plasmate is open twice and a project is open in one of them and then you
delete it in the other .. then what?

i think we may want to use a lockfile (see: KLockFile) in the project's
directory and remove it when plasmate is no longe rworking on that project.

> Also,in the near future we must decide if we want plasmate to support only
> QML or other bindings as well.A lot of the TODOs and FIXMEs are related
> with the bindings.

yes, this is something i want to discuss wiht people at Tokamak 5 next week
and come to a decision on. do you (or others :) have any opinions on this?

humru othro a kohnu se