today's meeting notes

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 10:45:38 CEST 2010

On Monday 13 September 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all..
>
> thanks to everyone who attended, here are notes from today's meeting on
> irc:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/20100912

ok, thanks a lot, and sorry aain to not be able to be there.
I have some points to make/questions to ask on the points highlighted there:

* Plasma Mobile:
 - agree on the big work needed on the system tray, hope Yuen can still work
on it, i will help tough
 - agree on extragear as location
 - activity switching must be bade way prettier code wise. at the moment there
is too much hardcoded stuff for my pleasing, will take a look
 - with konact mobile... yes, i feel potentilly there is a quite big amount of
duplication, honestly didn't had the energy to ctually check tough :)

* QtComponents/ QML bindings
 - we need a timeframe for QtComponents, but i guess it will pass a quite long
time before it makes it in a qt release
 - i think that for this reason bindings for the plasma widgets are still
needed, at worst the plasma widgets could get replaced by qml counterparts
with the exact set of properties
 - i would still like them to make it for 4.6, big issues remaining are the
use of a private qt class for dataengines (this really makes me cry) and i18n
(did kontact mobile solved that?) support for QIcons/KIcons would be nice as
well

* Activities
 - i still have to understand if i really want activities on plasma
netbook/mobile or if containments are enough for the job

* Classroom
 - still didn't get involved too much in tat one, one thing i can think of it
is improved remote widgets (and maybe a way to have remote dataengines on
local applets, maybe mixed with  local dataengines) could be helpful there,
for instance the calendar dataengine example in the wiki page.
 Could be post 4.6 material at this point tough

Cheers,
Marco Martin