Why rotate widgets?

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:27:43 CEST 2010

On 7 September 2010 13:13, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:

> Most Picture Frame users have several such applets on their desktop and
> rotate
> them to get a visually improved desktop. The Picture Frame applet is
> probably
> the strongest use case in rotating widgets.
> I don't imagine using it without the rotation.

There are people reporting that this feature creates clutter and confusion,
for little proven benefit. If the Picture Frame does take advantage of this
feature, then keep it to this applet and remove it from the rest.

Better yet, create a dedicated interface (a special containment, or a mode
to show it only when changing Preferences) to configure it when it's needed,
and get rid of it when it's not.

In addition to manual direct configuration, this could also allow for some
automated effects (for example create a random rotation for all pictures, or
auto-rotate widgets to match acceleration sensors) that many people would
benefit from without spending much time tweaking their desktop.

> When did we state we would give up on some options?
>
> I think he refers to people like Aaron saying that KDE 4 would avoid
micro-management preferences that choose between two equally problematic
interfaces, trying to stick to one good design that works from the
beginning.