KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/applets/systemtray/core

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 16:41:56 CET 2010

On Saturday, October 30, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> if the icon changes place when is notifying, it's like the mouse target
> moving and escaping
>
> brain is even too much good at remember spatially something, and becomes
> easy to keep clicking in the position the icon used to be, rather then the
> new one.

the # of people and the # of times that this will cause real errors versus the
problems caused by not being able to distinguish attention needers versus non-
attention needers means this change probably makes no sense.

yes, there are downsides to both ways of doing it. but now we're optimizing
for the fringe case.

when we add in the fact that icons that are hidden will always be revealing
themselves and it would nice to have a well known "landing zone" for them that
doesn't interfere with the existing order of "always shown" icons i think it
becomes even more evident that having an area for attention seeking entries
makes sense.

if we wish to treat "always visible" icons needing attention differently, then
we need to do just that: a visual effect, preferable one that animates to some
degree, should be provided to all "needs attention" entries by the system tray
(not the applications responsible for them: we can't rely on that). if we
can't come up with a sensible default answer to that, then i really suggest
this change be reverted.

humru othro a kohnu se