libplasma 2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 10:02:40 CET 2010

On 10/30/10, Ivan Cukic <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following Aaron's blog post [1] regarding QML and plasma, and breaking
> back-compatibility in the future.
>
> So, it is the plan to (well, a necessity more than a plan) make a BIC to
> libplasma producing libplasma2. Should we take
> the opportunity to fix some mistakes we've made in libplasma1 maybe risking
> some source-incompatibilities as well?

well, part of the plan is  dumping the whole widgets subfolder.
so yeah, source incompatibility as well.
in the meantime we should really do some long due changes :)

> If yes, what do you think about creating a wiki dump page with the stuff
> we'd like to rethink / change?
>
> It could be in the format:
>    IDEA: Blah blah
>    Link to ML discussion: mailman/something/something
>
> (since wikis suck for discussions, we could do it here - one thread per idea
> - and use wiki as an index of items)

+1
also, if somebody works in a particular area of libplasma and has a
long standing issue with some piece of api, maybe after discussing nit
there, put a note over the piece to change like
TODO PLASMA2: rename to... or make virtual     or whatever

Cheers,
Marco Martin