Icon overlays

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 29 19:29:11 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, October 27, 2010, Christian Kreibich wrote:
> But, aside from all this hackery, my main question is really whether
> there is a dedicated API via dbus or some such for managing icon
> overlays. :)

there isn't.

imho, what you describe is a nice idea implemented with a rather horrible
hack. screwing around with .desktop files is just very .. round about.

i think it would make a lot more sense to have a _proper_ representation for
such live icons. we have them for downloads now in file views (dolphin, etc)
that use kjobs to track these things. that's not likely to work for this
particular situation, but demonstrates that it is possible to do it "well".

for plasma, i'd suggest that this is something more for an actual plasmoid
rather than icon gimickery.

humru othro a kohnu se