Default activities

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:01:31 CEST 2010

On October 19, 2010 10:46:47 Mario Fux wrote:
> Am Montag 18 Oktober 2010, 15.30:03 schrieb Chani:
>
> Morning
>
> > > Do I need to add something to the release thing on techbase? Is there a
> > > freeze near?
> >
> > soft freeze is october 28th. you should update the feature plan:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.6_Feature_Plan
>
> Ok. Added: kdebase-workspace:  add some default actitivites for 4.6 | Mario
> Fux

thanks :)
it's about time for everyone to be updating the feature plan, actually...
*coughs*

> Yes. Makes sense. But I think about autostarting them when you switch to
> these activities.

I guess I have to think about how that could be made to happen then ;)

hrm. I suppose the easiest way would be to just use krun from the template
script right after you create the containment.. :) yeah, that'd be easy..

note: I'm assuming all this would happen when the activity is *created* from
that template, and the user can customize it from there as with any other
activity.

> > what other plasmoids could be useful for these activity templates?
>
> See above.

awesome :)

> > > This "research" does not include anything about the apps config or
> > > nepomuk activity application integration as I've trunk not working atm
> > > on any of my machine (should change sooner rather the later).
> >
> > config would be an ugly matter I'd rather avoid for now (or forever).
> >
> > nepomuk integration & context-awareness is a separate todo-item ;)
>
> You mean nepomuk activitiy application integration. And I think I know
> where this will happen, in Randa. But more about this at another time.

*blinks*

> > the only thing is... I'm not entirely sure when I'll have time to make
> > plasma- desktop support activity templates. I kinda overcommitted myself
> > a teensy bit
>
> Is it or will it be possible to save and export activities? Then I could do
> some stuff. Otherwise, developing in this area. I don't know if I'm good
> enough already i.e. if I knew enough to work with the activity stuff (would
> be definitely in my area of interest as there is a connection to nepomuk).

the containment can be exported - but not the session data, which is spread
across ksmserver, kwin and the applications involved. :/

I won't say it's impossible, but I wouldn't expect it to be pretty. :)
..then again, I didn't think half of this activity session stuff would be
possible a year ago either ;)

but activity *templates* - this is something me and aaron discussed on the
list, just after akademy iirc. they'll be just like the panel templates (eg.
"default panel") but DesktopCorona needs a little extra code so that an
activity is created and the containments the script makes are added to that
new activity.

--
Chani
http://chani.ca