Review Request: Add city and country resolution to GPS geolocation data using geonames.

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:31:36 CEST 2010

On Saturday 25 September 2010 19:44:09 you wrote:
> On Saturday, September 25, 2010, you wrote:
> > I do have a GPS, I could try get it working to test the patch if there is
> > still interest in getting this in.  However, we really need to sort out
> > geolocation services for KDE as a whole, re-inventing everything that
> > Geoclue and Marble have already figured out is not the best use of
> > resources.
>
> agreed; last i looked, geoclue was not broadly available on desktop linux /
> bsd (could be fixed by making it a dependency, of course ;) and carried
> some deps that weren't great for use in KDE (e.g. gconf). that was
> probably a little over a year ago now so that should be re-cehcked. as for
> marble, do you know if anything they've done is reusable?
>
> until someone does the research and finds a good solutions, however, we
> ought to continue to try to keep the geolocation engine at least
> moderately useful.

Unfortunately my gps unit doesn't give location over its usb port, only track
downloads, so I can't test it.  I'll ask around my mates for one that does.

GeoClue is officially part of the MeeGo platform, and most distros seem to
have it now, so availability shouldn't be an issue anymore.  Marble does have
code for PositionProvider for GeoClue, gpsd and Maemo sources, but I'm not
sure if its fully functional (see
kdeedu/marble/src/plugins/positionprovider/).  We'd need to ask Torsten about
that, but unless Marble moves some of its core libraries to kdesupport we
wouldn't be able to use them anyway.

There's also the new Qt Mobility stuff which seems to cover everything needed,
but pulls in a lot of other stuff we don't really need like their pim stuff.
And it seems like another QWebKit/QtScript situation, shunning our own
existing solution for upstream's solution.  On the other hand it will be
guaranteed available on the mobile platform, even if no distros are shipping
it yet.

Damn, wish I'd been organised enough to call a geolocation bof at Akademy, we
had everyone we needed there.

Either way, there will always be a DataEngine for plasma, just with a GeoClue
plugin or calling a kdelibs or Qt api, so any work to advance the engines api
is worth it.

John.