Using Plasma::Svg outside of Plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 28 22:23:54 CET 2010

On Sunday, November 28, 2010, Manuel Mommertz wrote:
> > > If a Plasma::Svg is not themed it stores its pixmaps in the cache of
> > > defaultTheme. For this, it would be a better solution to have a generic
> > > systemTheme or something like that, as there is no need to rerender
> > > this, if the default theme changes. Beside this, there is really no
> > > logical relation between an unthemed svg and the default plasma theme.
> >
> > this isn't fatal
>
> if the default theme doesn't use system colors but the unthemed svg does,
> this indeed is fatal as the pixmaps for this svg stay in the cache on
> changes in the colorscheme.

well, we do clear the renderer, and this is already done for system theme
color following svgs.

problem is that, as you note, the on-disk cache is not cleared (Svg relies on
Theme dropping the cache on such change) and short of doing bookkeeping of all
id's cached in a given unthemed-but-colored svg there is no easy way out. (and
then there are edge cases where things change while the cache is not
maintained, e.g. the app is closed or the svg object destroyed.)

that's very unfortunate, really :(

> But on the personal side, I know from a guy that has worked hard to create
> a theme for aurorae that uses system colors. I really doesn't want to say
> him that he has to wait over 6 month to release it. :-/

i'm pretty well finished implementing it already.

humru othro a kohnu se