[kde-promo] start of elevator pitch for plasma on devices

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 23:08:53 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> hi everyone ..
>
> following up on the results of the MeeGo conference, it reinforced the need
> for some shared "elevator pitch" materials for Plasma when it comes to
> devices. i took a first run at it today, which you can find here:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Plasma#Why_use_Plasma_when_creating_a_consumer_device.3F
>
> it is still too verbose and probably contains lots of assumptions on my part
> which i am unable to identify due to my proximity to the subject matter.
>
> it is still just a first draft, but i'm unable to push it further today.
> there's a fairly strong limit to the length of time that i can productively
> poke and prod at a draft in a single sitting ... after which i end up making
> more useless edits than useful ones. ;) so i'll come back to it in the days to
> come after i've been away from it for a bit.
>
> however, i'd like input even at this early stage. particularly:
>
> * what is there but irrelevant (and should therefore be cut)
>
> * what isn't there but relevant (and should therefore be added)
>
> * what is not clear (and should therefore be reworded)
>
> in general, the smaller we can get it, the better it will be. hopefully it
> will end up concise enough for people presenting Plasma in the context of
> consumer electronics will be able to use spout something close to it from
> memory to great effect. that's the goal, anyways. it's not there yet.
>
> help me, obiwan kenobi.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Presuming that some people being presented to may have my low level of
sophistication...

You write, "...with operating systems like MeeGo". Is Plasma for CE a
MeeGo application? Does it apply to other OSs? How does it compare
with Appcelerator/Titanium used to develop native-ish apps for iPhone,
Android and RIM?

What are the other choices related to the following:
"Help decision makers (e.g. managers) understand the concrete benefits
of using Plasma for smartphones, tablets, netbooks, set-top boxes and
other CE devices so that they choose to make it part of their platform
strategy."

And how does the Plasma-related solution compare to these other choices?

How savvy are the decision makers/managers?

On one hand, I feel like I'm in deep water here. Don't know much about
the environments involved. On the other hand, it's clear to me that
application developers are looking for the advantages Plasma offers.
For some devices, developer participation is a major consideration
(smartphones, tablets). Companies offering other types of devices
(e.g., set top boxes) won't have as much need of third party
developers. So will the decision makers be more like Apple/closed
garden iStuff doing their own development, or Motorola/Droid, HTC,
Samsung, et al who open their basic platform widely to outside
developers.

My questions are intended to clarify the context of the pitch. They
speak to my ignorance about the subject more than the need for
additional analysis or such.

Carl