Panel icon sizing bug in 4.4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 25 21:38:44 CEST 2010

On May 25, 2010, Mike Kasick wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:20:46AM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > kickoff is a popup applet should be handled by PopupApplet and so
> > shouldn't be patched for this.
>
> The "new-style" kickoff is indeed, I don't think the patches touch
> the regular LauncherApplet.  The "old-style" kickoff (better name for
> this?  simpleapplet?  Class MenuLauncherApplet anyways.) isn't a
> PopupApplet hence why I added the code there.
>
> > the PopupApplet patch needs work, however. in PopupApplet::sizeHint, it
> > should probably be something like:
> >
> > if (!d->icon) {
> >
> >     return Applet::sizeHint(which, constraint);
> >
> > }
>
> So actually, I wasn't quite sure if I had to do anything more when
> converting iconSize to a QSizeF.  In IconWidget and elsewhere
> IconWidget::sizeFromIconSize is used (e.g., icons.cpp:63).

good question;  sizeFromIconSize basically answers the question, "with the
given text for this icon, how bit does the whole QGraphicsWidget need to be to
show both the text and the icon at that size"? in these cases no text is being
shown, so we don't really care.

> Is there a chance this will make it into 4.4.4?  If not, I might want to

i highly doubt it, sorry :(

> Figure there's likely to be a single SVN commit I can grab?  Otherwise I
> can take a look at the commit log and grab out the relevant pieces.

there was one commit per set of files changed; so one for PopupApplet in
libplasma, one for kickoff, one for lancelot (iirc?) and one for the control
panel.

> P.S.: While it's on my mind, I think I see another bug in
> IconWidget::sizeHint (kdelibs/plasma/widgets/iconwidget.cpp:675,691,696).
> The three return lines in this method all take "qMax(...height(),
> ...height()", I suspect that's supposed to be "qMax(...width(),
> ...height()".

yes, looks like a typo. nice catch.

humru othro a kohnu se