Panel icon sizing bug in 4.4

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 24 10:56:53 CEST 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010, Mike Kasick wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:28:00AM -0700, Chani wrote:
> > one of the bug reports mentioned that KDE's default icon size should be
> > respected, although it's not clear whether that was implemented.
>
> It wasn't.
>
> > if that setting is not followed, then you have found a bug, and patches
> > are welcome.  :)
>
> OK, attached are three fairly trivial patches.
>
> The first patch, against kdebase-runtime (both Debian 4.4.3-2 and KDE 4.5
> SVN trunk) reenables the ability to change the "Panel" icon size in
> kcm_icons.  It also disables the "Animate Icons" checkbox as that checkbox
> is disabled for most of the other icon types, and appers to be obsolete in
> KDE 4.
>
> The second and third patches do the same thing, but the second applies to
> Debian 4.4.3-2 while the third applies to KDE 4.5 SVN trunk.  Both patches,
> against kdelibs, changes IconWidget::sizeHint to return
> IconSize(KIconLoader::Panel) instead of KIconLoader::SizeMedium when no
> preferred icon size has already been set (4.5 only).  Note that
> KIconLoader::Panel defaults to KIconLoader::SizeMedium, so there's no
> change unless someone modifies the setting in the Appearance dialog.
>
> I've tested the first two patches against Debian 4.4.3-2 and they resolve
> the problem, allowing the user to configure the capped panel icon size.
> plasma-desktop has to be restarted for a new capped icon size to take
> effect, since IconWidget::sizeHint is only queried on applet
> initialization.  The effect is also immediate (without plasma-desktop
> restart) on any new applet added to the panel.
>
> I've not tested the patches against KDE SVN trunk, I've just ensured they
> apply cleanly.  Unfortunately I'm not setup to build and test trunk right
> now, if someone else can try these patches that would be great.  If you do
> a partial build, the modified output files are kcm_icons.so and
> libplasma.so.3.0.0.
>
> So actually, I haven't confirmed that the icon size cap problem exists in
> KDE 4.5.  I suspect it does, since it's definitely not user configurable
> right now.  It looks like a bunch of code was added to IconWidget::sizeHint
> to allow individual applets to set a preferred icon size.  However the
> "icon" and "kickoff" applets appear not to touch this.
>
> Are the first two patches fair game for KDE 4.4.4?  I'd really love to see
> a user configurable panel icon size in Debian for accesibility purposes,
> and 4.5 is going to hit too late for squeeze.
>
> I'm assuming the first and third patches are appropriate for KDE 4.5.
> Again, they're fairly trivial, but need to be tested.
>
> Thanks everyone!

thanks for those.
they should go in trunk for sure. the first at least. probably it can be made
harmless enough for trunk.
about the second and the third, it's not the  proper place to do that
iconwidget is used really everywhere, not only on panels but also in layouts
of applets that can be anywhere else in popups etc.
What should be modified i think is the size hint of the Icon applet, in
workspace, that is explicitly used here
and should have a sizehint of Panel in vertical/horizontal formfactors and
Desktop in Planar

Cheers,
Marco Martin