Shared OSD Service for KDE

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 10 14:43:29 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ozan Çağlayan at 10/05/10 13:23 did gyre and gimble:
> 10 May 2010 Pazartesi günü (saat 14:23:48) Markus şunları yazmıştı:
>> While I like the idea, I think the current implementation wastes a but much
>> space (icon is over to the progress bar, not beside it) and the progress
>> bar is also not the Plasma one.
>
> Yes you are right. The layout can always be refined, even we may offer the
> current KMix's osdwidget as an alternative (or this one as an alternative)
> that could be selected through a KCM module. I think the objective should be
> to avoid projects including boilerplate osd widgets into their code. This is
> redundant and should be replaced by a centralized service either a stand-alone
> application or a KDED daemon.
>
> I'll try to port the progress bar to the plasma one, thanks for noticing.

Personally I quite like the OSX and GNOME OSDs and they are both pretty
big (quite similar to your screenshot, but a little more square), but
are also quite minimalist design wise and use transparency well.

So, personally, I think the "wasted space" argument isn't really overly
important in this context - use transparency and make sure it disappears
quickly and how big it is isn't massively important. In fact you could
say that the primary focus of an OSD is to give feedback. If it's too
small you wont notice it :D

IOW I don't really like the kmix one all that much - it's too detached
from the context and needs to be bigger IMO :p

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie