PMC use case

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 17:21:16 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 16:59:54 Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
>     Whoa, just been off for few hours and so much discussion! Too bad
> I arrived late :P
>
> Christohpe, as Marco said, we will be having the Browser display the
> list of plugins (and hence modes) anyway, so we can maximize it to the
> whole screen and kind of use it as the Home applet. But yes, if you've
> some more things that can be there in the Home applet, please share
> the ideas.
>
> Sebas, I don't get how we should target mainly TVs instead of
> notebooks? TVs will be just an output device as far as I know (unless
> there is a TV which runs KDE SC) so the actual stuff (application)
> will anyway be running on a notebook/netbook/PC. If I'm not
> understanding what you meant, it'd be nice if you can explain a bit :)

The thing can run on a conventional notebook, or netbook, or whatever hardware you
want it to, the important things when using a TV as output device are:

- input: mice don't work so well, pointer-based devices in general have problems
  (hard to point at exactly the right thing)
- UI element sizes: a laptop screen allows for much more fidelity than a TV screen,
  you can simply fit more elements on a screen you're looking at closely (it's also
  related to input size)

Now it might turn out that buttons on an N900 screen can have just the same size in
pixels as on a fullHD TV screen, but it's not a given so we need rather large
elements as well. Ow, and people might not have a keyboard connected or easily
reachable.
--
sebas